16:31

Healthy Millionaire Shortbread

After a £97.00 food shop (in Aldi!!) my fridge and cupboards are fully stocked and I’m ready for my next week of meal prep to start tomorrow. Today, I made some healthy-but-naughty treats for my snacks throughout the week, a healthy version of Millionaire Shortbread. It’s the first time I’ve made it and its turned out pretty well!


All the ingredients are in the photo above, minus the chocolate for the topping. Now, this does involve a lot of peanut butter and I, for one, can say that I’m not a peanut butter fan in the slightest, but I do enjoy this recipe. You can use almond butter instead, I might try that next time, but its just so much harder to find!

Ingredients

Base
125g oats
125g ground almonds
4 tbsp water
40g dates (stones removed and finely chopped)
1 tbsp golden syrup 
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter (or almond if you prefer)

Filling
200g dates (stones removed and finely chopped)
120g smooth peanut butter (or almond if you prefer)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
40g walnuts (roughly chopped)
150ml water 

Topping
200g dark chocolate


Method

Base
Put the oats, almonds, water, dates, golden syrup and peanut butter into a bowl (or food processor if you have one) and whisk until its a crumb-like texture. Place into a baking tray (size doesn't matter too much - it just depends how thick you want them!) and press down until firm, flat and covering the whole base. Place in the fridge.

Filling
Put the dates, peanut butter, vanilla essence, walnuts and water into the same bowl and whisk until mixed to a consistency almost like caramel. It doesn't matter if its a bit lumpy, as long as its slightly gloopy and spreadable. Pour the filling over the base until it covers it fully.

Topping
Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and either place it over a pan of simmering water or (if you're lazy, like me) place it in the microwave for 2 x 1 minute blasts, stirring in between. Drizzle the chocolate over the filling and spread across.

I promise, they taste amazing and completely guilt-free!


I’m really getting into making tasty treats with a healthy twist on them. Some aren’t great but some are fantastic. I tend to find I’m altering the recipes to suit me though, whether that’s the portion sizes or the actual ingredients. 



X
SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig